Double Extra Point has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
www.doubleextrapoint.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Just Say No Oklahoma



In a Omaha World Herald article recently, it was revealed that a Nebraska fan did the most awesomest thing to Oklahoma since Johnny Rodgers in 1971. I'm telling you, you can't make things up that are this great.

James W. Conradt is a Nebraska football fan who happens to live in Austin, TX. James was so bored one night he decided to go find a template at 'The Oklahoman' on the internet and publish a bogus story about Sam Bradford and Landry Jones. The problem with the story is that he claimed they were arrested on cocaine trafficking. I guess to some people it's not funny.

Says Landry Jones' dad (Kevin Jones), "I'm going to prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. I've got deep enough pockets to do it."

Oklahoman publisher David (not Charles) Thompson made this statement, "When this was brought to our attention, we took immediate action. Through our technology and news teams, we tracked him down and told him to cease and desist. We take this very seriously and will consider legal action."

This all started when James was in a Oklahoma chat room and obviously getting torn apart. "I just wanted to get em all riled up, I guess", James said. "It was a bad decision. When I got home, I got on my computer, one of the moderators on the Oklahoma site e-mailed me and said some Oklahoma people are upset about this. That's when I took it down."

Kevin Jones would respond, "I knew it was a prank thing right away. Anybody that knows Sam or knows Landry knows the story wasn't true to begin with. But when radio stations down in Houston and Austin report it, it's very hurtful."


I have a few thoughts on this. First of all, when the editor of The Oklahoman states that 'through our technology and news teams' they were able to track James down, then how the hell was he able to publish an article in the first place if your technology and news teams are so great. Is this the Channel 4 news team from Anchorman? Another thing, maybe Kevin Jones should be suing David Thompson. He is the one that should 'cease and desist'. Give me a break. I don't claim to know much, but I do know that when you run a major newspaper and some hick from Texas can hack in and publish articles that cause two states to go into an uproar there is probably a bigger problem. What's even worse is that James had to take down the article himself. James isn't exactly Matthew Broderick from 'War Games'. James isn't hacking into the CIA's central computer system and starting World War III so leave him alone. James, I got 'The Onion' on Line 2, I'm hooking you up man.

I'm putting this guy on the list of fans I have to meet before I die. Fans this hardcore don't grow on trees.

P.S. - If you need help with bail, call Jeffie. He lives closer.