Double Extra Point has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
www.doubleextrapoint.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

How To Pick Up Erin Andrews

I really had no idea what Erin Andrews looks for in guys until now. I'm not saying that any of us have a very good chance, but I 'm just saying that someday you might be in the right place at the right time - if you wear sunblock, shave your unibrow, hop in a shower in front of her, sport a few scars on your face, sweat in front of her, have the name David Beckham or Tom Cruise, and don't ever come down with skin cancer.

Required reading straight from Erin Andrews in a Men's Health article titled "Routine Maintenance:"

"My job allows me face-time with guys who are usually guarded or hidden by helmets or only seen far off on a field. Getting a sneak-peek is exciting. Even an athlete famous for the agility of his hands or the power in his legs has stories and secrets written into his face. I've visited many players in the locker room, and traveled around the country with male broadcasters, and gotten a good look at how guys groom themselves before they get in front of fans or cameras. Over the years, it's become clear what I love and don't love—and a lot of it can be found in a man's face.

I think men and women both like someone who hasn't over-primped. For example, I've worked with low-key announcers who care more about the free food in the media room than whether their High Definition makeup is blended properly (it's just part of the business). And I've watched athletes jump into the shower post-game and come out so fast they haven't stopped sweating, and I don't even have questions ready. This kind of confidence is attractive to me.

But then there's the player who fake-bakes on the road, or leaves his hat off during warm-ups so his coiffed hair isn't messed up. When his teammates ruffle his feathers, he freaks out. This guy just isn't my type. I don't want a man to ask for my colorist's number, you know what I mean? Laidback is sexy. Let David Beckham or Tom Brady be your guide.

I'm not advocating zero maintenance. A guy's face does benefit from daily upkeep, even though a flawless complexion isn't essential to me at all. I have no problem with a guy who uses products—I'm for whatever regime works, from cleanser to moisturizer, even eye cream or toner. And I don't see it often but I love when players lather up the SPF. There's nothing sexier than a man protecting himself from skin cancer.

I love dark brows, and I'm all for a man waxing his unibrow. But I don't want to be reminded by a guy's too-perfect arches that I have to make an appointment myself. Altering the face in more extreme ways, though, is dangerous territory. Botox and collagen and color contacts never look natural. My ideal is someone who takes good care of his face, but lets his individuality and his personality and his age stand out, without apologies.

In getting to know a man, the face is a great place to start. I work in an industry that praises guys for playing gritty, getting physical, going all out. Needless to say, I don't mind a scar or two on the face; it's part of the life. In my opinion, a man has no need to be self-conscious or to hide it. It shows character, and we could all use more of that."