Double Extra Point has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
www.doubleextrapoint.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nebraska Baseball Recruits in the MLB Draft


As if Mike Anderson needed any more headaches, two of his top recruits were drafted today in the MLB draft.

Geoffrey Baldwin (1B, 6'4, 195 lb.) was drafted in the 10th round (#302) by the Kansas City Royals.
- from Grand Junction High (CO) - is a left-handed first baseman that worked out for as many as 20 teams before yesterday's draft began. Baldwin accepted a scholarship to Nebraska last fall and had this to say about the draft, "while it’s all projections right now, I am going to go by a money amount and not what round I’m selected. Things are looking good, but you really don’t know anything until they say your name.” Baldwin goes on to say, "I’m extremely excited for it. It’s crazy to think in two weeks I could be playing professional baseball."

-was projected to go between the 4th and 6th rounds.

- for his MLB scouting video, click here.

Thomas Lemke (SP, 6'7, 205 lbs.) was drafted in the 10th round (#304) by the Texas Rangers.

- from Northwestern Christian High (AZ) -is a tall, lanky right-handed pitcher that has a fastball in the upper 80's. Lemke was rated as the 97th overall player in the 2009 class by Rivals and chose Nebraska over North Carolina and Miami (FL). Said Lemke last summer, "right now I'm just concerned with having fun and winning. I definitely want to play big-time college ball and professionally."

-a Mets blogger had Lemke ranked as his #115th overall right-handed pitching prospect.

- for his MLB scouting video, click here.
I'm sure Baldwin and Lemke's decisions will be coming soon. Both would be huge assets to Anderson's baseball program in 2009. However, their decisions will likely be solely based on the amount of guaranteed money thrown at them. Although I can't find anything concrete, I believe they will be looking at a figure in the neighborhood of $100,000. It would take alot to convince me otherwise that both players would be far better served to attend school and improve on their draft status while getting a college education. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I don't like the chances of either one suiting up for the Huskers in 2010.