Double Extra Point has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
www.doubleextrapoint.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 30, 2007

NFL Draft Analysis - The Lazy Version

This is all I've got, considering these two days are the last I will follow the NFL until playoff time.

When I heard the names of this year's crop of Huskers called on NFL Draft weekend, I thought the teams selecting them seemed familiar.

Adam Carriker - St. Louis
Brandon Jackson - Green Bay
Stewart Bradley - Philadelphia
Jay Moore - San Francisco

It just seemed at first glance, that we have had a lot of Nebraska players on the rosters of these particular NFL squads. That got me thinking about patterns among NFL teams and which colleges they tend to raid for talent. In particular I was interested in which teams seem to select Huskers at higher rates than others.

I limited my analysis to the years of 1982-2007, as that seemed to be the most readily available. I also tried to do some combining of teams based on moves to new cities. For example, the LA Rams and the St. Louis Rams simply became the Rams.

Anyway, here is the chart showing the teams that have drafted the most Nebraska players from 1982-2007.


Not that enlightening and only the Rams selection of Carriker would seem to fit the data. Certianly we have had many players on rosters of other NFL teams, but these are the ones that have drafted the most Huskers during that time period.

Other random notes from the data:

We've had 141 players drafted during that time period.
Linebacker, DB, RB, and offensive line are the most common positions drafted.
We've had three players drafted with picks #6 and #39.
The players drafted at #6 were: Broderick Thomas, Lawrence Phillips, Grant Wistrom. The players picked at #39 were: Jared Tomich, Toniu Fonoti, Mike Brown

Meh.

If anyone else would like the data to play around with data, shoot me an email at jcadams(at)uh.edu and I'll send you the Excel file.