Double Extra Point has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
www.doubleextrapoint.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Dr. D - Good, Bad, and the Ugly

The Good:

I know La. Tech's D is a far cry from the big boys of the Big 12, but as an opening tune up, I saw flashes of brilliance as of yet unseen from Callahan's complicated scheme. It wasn't so much that we had several big plays, but that it appeared Taylor had multiple open receivers on most plays. That tells me the scheme is capable of really confusing defenses. Will it work on a real D? I guess we'll see in 2 weeks.

I think Jay Moore took all of Adam Carriker's preseason hype personally. Benefiting from Carriker's double teams, Moore was a man-child, and at 6' 4", 280 lbs. with speed, I wouldn't be surprised if NU has 2 first round DE selections in the 2007 NFL Draft.

The Bad:

We will have to come up with a serious game plan to slow down USC's receivers. The 3 scariest words in the English language for Husker fans on September 16th could be Smith, Jarrett and Turner-as in USC wideout trio Steve, Dwayne and Patrick. It could be a long night in the City of Angels.

No more bad for this week: I don't want to be too big of a Husker buzz-kill. Besides, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Big Red cover easily and rack up nearly 600 yards of offense, no matter who we were playing. It reminded me of the good ol' days.

The Ugly:

Injuries. They are a big part of the game, and every year key injuries derail a national title contender's title hopes. I just watched Louisville stud RB Michael Bush's leg snap like a twig against Kentucky, and it reminded me that we are not alone with injury related concerns. However, our DB situation just went from bad to worse losing Fluellen, and Grixby's frailty does not inspire hopes that he can make it through a 14 game title run stretch. Not to mention the promising season of Phillip Dillard now up in smoke. But, perhaps even more disconcerting, despite the improved O-line play, Taylor still took 3-4 serious shots. I know he's a tough kid, but he has to understand that holding the ball for an extra second or two and taking the big hit is definitely playing roulette with our title hopes. Every Husker fan knows that without him, we are in serious trouble. As I watched our lineman scrape Taylor off the turf a couple times, I found myself wishing he would have thrown it away-whether or not the pass was ultimately completed.

Buffalo Post-Mortem:

Are any Buffs fans in Boulder answering their email or their cell phones today? Losing to 1-AA Montana State is not exactly the kickoff party Zen master Dan Hawkins had envisioned. I'm surprised the CU student section didn't rush the field with blue spray paint as they watched the game slip away in the 4th quarter in a vain attempt to make Hawkins more comfortable away from the blue turf of Boise. Hawkins vaunted scheme managed just 216 total yards of offense. Looking ahead, CU could be staring 0-5 right in the face. Next up, the rivalry game with Colorado St., then Arizona St, at Georgia, and at Missouri. Welcome to the Big 12 Mr. Hawkins.